When it comes to chainsaws, there are two major brands: Stihl and Husqvarna. Both have their pros and cons, but which one is the best for you? I have used both and arrived at a conclusion that is well justified once you go through this article.
Short answer: Most important advantages of lap joints are the ease of construction, and concealing the end grain for a nicer finish. The main disadvantages are the weaker overall strength of the construction, and some reinforcement may be required to ensure proper strength and durability.
In this article, we’ll compare the two products Stihl MS 271 and Husqvarna 450, by looking at their specifications and evaluating them thoroughly. Here is the quick answer for the Stihl MS 271 vs Husqvarna 450 query.
|Stihl MS 271||Husqvarna 450|
|Power||3.49 BHP||3.20 HP|
|Weight||12.3 Pounds||11.3 Pounds|
|Fuel||16.9 oz.||15.22 oz.|
|Chain Oil||8.12 oz.||8.8 oz|
|Guide Bar Length||16 to 20 inches||18 – 20 inches|
|Speed||2,800 – 9,500 – 13,300 RPM||2,700 – 9,000 RPM|
|Chain Oil Dispenser||Manual||Automatic|
|Sound||103 – 115 dB(A)||115 dB(A)|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years|
|Check Latest Price||Check Latest Price|
When it comes to chainsaws, Stihl is definitely the more popular brand. They’ve been around longer and have a reputation for being high quality. Husqvarna is newer on the scene but has quickly made a name for itself as a producer of durable and powerful chainsaws.
In terms of specifications, both Stihl and Husqvarna offer various options. However, there are some key differences between the two brands.
For example, Stihl chainsaws tend to be more expensive than Husqvarna chainsaws. Additionally, Stihl offers more chain options while Husqvarna focuses on offering different bar lengths.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links.
Table of Contents
Stihl MS 271 vs Husqvarna 450
Stihl has long been one of the most popular chainsaw brands in the country, being the tool of choice for years. However, it has seen its dominance being challenged by Husqvarna, a new brand looking to break into this lucrative market.
Customers using Stihl chainsaws are used to a high-quality product that offers great power and performance at an affordable price. Husqvarna on the other hand introduced products with advanced features which were slightly pricier.
Amongst the most popular chainsaws in the starting range of these brands are the Stihl MS 271 and the Husqvarna 450. These products have their standout features, which makes them slightly different as a result.
In the next section, I will discuss the differences and similarities between these two chainsaw models from two top brands in the country.
- Engine and Fuel: Undoubtedly the engine is the most important part of a chainsaw and thus, an important differentiating factor between the two. The Stihl MS 271 has a horsepower of 2.6 Kilowatts while the Husqvarna 450 has 3.20. Also, while the former is gasoline-powered, the latter is powered by gas.
- Chain: The Stihl chainsaw comes with a side-access chain tensioner while the Husqvarna’s chain can be accessed with a single bolt on the right side of the chainsaw.
- Weight: Talking about the weight of the chainsaws, there is a considerable difference between the two. The Stihl MS 271 weighs 19 Pounds and the Husqvarna 450 weighs 11.3 Pounds. But you do have to note that the former performs better and has a good build.
- Air filtration system: Both the Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws feature a pre-separation centrifugal air cleaner system. This ensures that the dust and debris are gotten rid of before it reaches the air filter. Thus, your engine life is increased and the air filter lasts upto five times longer.
- Guide bar length: The Stihl MS 271, as well as the Husqvarna 250, can be used with a bar length of 16” to 20”. This way, you can use these chainsaws for powerful and larger diameter cuts depending on the need.
- Anti-vibration system: These chainsaws feature an anti-vibration system making their usage so much more convenient. However, the Husqvarna 450 is known to have low vibration, 3.1 m/s2 for the front handle and 4.9 m/s2 for the rear.
Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss Review
As mentioned above, Stihl has been a go-to brand for most people looking to gain high-quality equipment for woodcutting. I was looking for a model that offered the perfect blend of performance and reliability while offering me some useful advanced features.
This is when I came across the Stihl MS 271 saw, which is an upgraded version of the famous Stihl 270 chainsaw.
This model was forced on maximizing the efficiency of the package, by giving users better efficiency and an enhanced user experience all in a compact design. The best part? It did not cost me a fortune to purchase and try it out!
The Stihl MS 271 is certainly a quite popular name in the market and that is because of the various popular features it comes with. This gas-powered ergonomically designed chainsaw works best on mature trees at your small farms or on any larger ground.
- Antivibration Handle: Yes
- Bar Length: 20 inch
- Brand Name: STIHL
- CARB Compliant: Yes
- Chain Brake: Yes
- Chainsaw Type: Chainsaw
- Engine Displacement: 50.2 cubic centimetres
- Engine Type: 2-Cycle
- Model Number: MS 271
- Start Type: Pull Start
- Sub Brand: FARM BOSS
- Tension Adjustment Type: Manual
- Powered By: Gas
I was quite impressed by its engine which offers 20% longer run times between refueling than its previous versions. Not just that, I can completely vouch for its durability since it features a pre-separation air filtration system protecting it from dirt and grim.
From a fairly long user perspective, I can say that their anti-vibration system does a good job of making it comfortable for the user. Also, I have heard people have problems starting chainsaws but that is not the case with Stihl MS 271.
Now, let’s get on with discussing some of the features that make it a competitor for the Husqvarna 450:
- Fuel efficiency: When you want to get the complete worth of your money, it is only smart to go for a fuel-efficient chainsaw.
Especially in this area where technology has gotten us so far, you wouldn’t want to miss out on some of the basic features.
The Stihl MS 271 features a patented design that is known to cut fuel emissions by 50% when compared to the previous models. You can go on with cutting wood without having to fill the tank every 10 minutes.
However, if you are, you will have no complaints about it. Make sure you test the weight and your comfort level with the saw with the tank full.
- Low vibration technology: With the ergonomic design and low vibration technology the Stihl MS 271 comes out to be a rather comfortable saw. Even after working for longer hours, you won’t be exhausted.
- Environment friendly with reduced emissions
- Easy access for chain replacement and service
- Can handle large cuts without too much difficulty
- Quite expensive
- Customers reported issues with dealer communications
- Flip-top fuel cap susceptible to leaks
Husqvarna 450 Rancher Review
Being someone who likes to try out new brands and innovations, I was curious about all the interest around the new range of Husqvarna chainsaws.
Eventually, I decided to test a product that had performance aspects similar to a chainsaw that I already own.
That is when I came across the Husqvarna 450 Rancher, which was a great competitor for my existing Stihl 271 chainsaw.
It offered unique features that were not seen before in other chainsaw brands, while also offering performance that made it a common choice amongst professional woodcutters.
To introduce you to the Husqvarna 450, it is a gas-powered chainsaw ideal for professional use and even if you want to get heavy work done in no time.
To my surprise, the chainsaw has performed above my expectations especially after I had used the Stihl MS 271 and was quite satisfied with it.
I didn’t have a hard time cutting even a 24’’chestnut oak tree with this chainsaw and since then it has definitely checked all the major boxes for me- sharp blade, powerful, lightweight, comfortable, and low vibration.
- Cylinder displacement: 50.2 cc
- Power output: 3.2 HP
- Maximum power speed: 9000 RPM
- Fuel tank volume: 15.22 fluid ounces
- Fuel consumption: 504 g/kWh
- Idling speed: 2700 RPM
- Spark plug: NGK BPMR7A, Champion RCJ7Y
- Electrode gap: 0.02 inches
- Torque, max.: 2.6 Nm/7200 RPM
- Oil tank volume: 0.55 US pint
- Oil pump type: Fixed flow
- Oil pump capacity: 13 13 ml/min
- Vibration and noise data:
- Equivalent vibration level (ahv, eq) front / rear handle: 2.3/2.7 m/s²
- Sound pressure level at operators ear: 104 dB(A)
- Sound power level, guaranteed (LWA): 115 dB(A)
- Cutting equipment
- Chain pitch: 0.325 inches
- Recommended bar length, min-max: 13-20 inches
- Chain speed at max power: 56.76 ft
- Box contains: Chainsaw, manual, chain, and guide bar
- Weight (excluding cutting equipment): 10.8 pounds
- Manufacturer warranty: 2-year warranty
- Chainsaw Type: Rancher
- Bar Length (in): 20
- Power Type: Gas
- Handle Type: Rear
- Product Weight: 11.2 pounds
- Warranty: 2 years
- X-Torq Engine: I was surely not kidding about the Husqvarna 450 being loaded with new-age features. To begin with, it comes with an X-Tor engine responsible for fuel efficiency and low emissions. This engine is capable of 3.2 horsepower with a speed of 2,700 RPM.
- Chain Brake: The makers of Husqvarna 450 have taken the safety of users into consideration and as a result, it comes with an inactivated chain brake.
It is obvious with such machines you have to be careful but given the nature of work it is seldom you will be around people and thus this feature will really come in handy.
- Smart start: The X-Torq engine has been designed in a way that the chainsaw has no issues starting without the user having to put much effort. It also features a c combined start/stop switch and fuel pump to make the process easier.
PROs & CONs
- Easy to start in all weather conditions
- Combines well with a high-quality chain to cut quickly
- Well balanced despite the bigger size and heavier weight
- Difficult to replace the chain due to its position behind the clutch
- Brake on the outside can be uncomfortable to some users
- Plastic teeth on starter can get damaged easily
After having a go at the Stihl MS 271 and Husqvarna 450, I am completely satisfied with my purchase and I can finally see all the hype behind it.
When I was researching both these chainsaws I knew the Husqvarna 450 costs almost double the Stihl MS 271. But what harm does it do if you get the worth of your money, right?
However, I had no doubts since these two possess similarities in terms of durability and comfort level and the price gap is compensated when you have a look at the features and quality of the machine.
The Husqvarna 450 is a much more powerful machine than its competitor and this can certainly prove very helpful for a lot of users. The revolutionary engine is one of its main feature characteristics.
In a nutshell, the Stihl MS 271 gave a tough competition to the Husqvarna 450 in a lot of aspects. It can be a go-to affordable chainsaw for many reasons.
Which One is Better & Why
When I stepped into the market and started doing my research for a good medium-range chainsaw I was overwhelmed with a plethora of options? I am certain a lot of my readers would find themselves in this situation too.
However, once you dig deeper there are two brands that have made quite a name for themselves- Stihl and Husqvarna. I finally narrowed down my options and decided to go for the Stihl MS 271 and Husqvarna 450. Now, let’s decide which one is better.
First, let’s talk about the design and looks. The Husqvarna 450 has a more appealing design in my option and is also lightweight. While this one weighs about 11.3 pounds the Stihl MS 271 weighs 19 pounds. This is certainly going to affect the user while working for longer durations.
Even in terms of power, the Husqvarna features a 50 cc engine and a horsepower of 3.20 while compared to a 2.6 Kilowatts Stihl chainsaw. However, when you compare the fuel tank capacity of both these competitors there isn’t much of a difference.
The build of Husqvarna 450 is quite stronger and will last you longer. With the anti-vibration technology in both of these chainsaws, the comfort of the user is not compromised.
Regarding fuel efficiency, you will be spending a lot on gas with the Stihl MS 271 since the Husqvarna 450 with X-Torq engine is exceptionally great at giving you better fuel efficiency. In case you were wondering about the noise level of these two machines, they produce almost the same noise.
Concluding with the safety aspect, the Husqvarna 450 with the electric chain brake is much more safer and secure. So, which one do you choose?
In my opinion, you should go ahead with the Stihl MS 271 if you indulge in light to medium work and don’t need a chainsaw engine with a lot of power.
Not to forget, it is so much more affordable too. Get the Husqvarna 450 if you have more tough tasks like felling medium or thicker trees and are going to use the chainsaw for a longer duration.
When it comes to chainsaws, there are a lot of things to consider. What type of saw do you need? Gas or electric? 16-inch or 18-inch blade? How much power do you want? And that’s just the beginning.
With all these choices, how can you be sure you’re getting the right saw for your needs? That’s where this guide comes in.
We’ll walk you through everything you need to know before buying a chainsaw, so you can make an informed decision and get the most bang for your buck.
The first thing you need to consider is what type of chainsaw you need. Do you need a gas-powered saw for heavy-duty cutting, or will an electric saw suffice?
Gasoline-powered chainsaws are the traditional choice for most users. They’re more powerful than electric saws and can be used for a variety of tasks, from trimming branches to felling trees. However, they’re also more expensive and require more maintenance than electric saws.
If you’re only going to use your chainsaw for light-duty tasks like trimming branches, an electric saw may be a better option. Electric saws are less expensive than gas saws and require less maintenance.
However, they’re not as powerful as gas saws and may not be suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
Another important consideration is the size of the blade. The most common sizes are 16 inches and 18 inches, but other sizes are available as well. The size you need will depend on the type of work you’ll be doing with your chainsaw.
If you only need to do light-duty work like trimming branches, a 16-inch blade will suffice. For medium-duty tasks like cutting small trees or felling larger branches, an 18-inch blade is a better choice.
And if you need to do heavy-duty work like felling large trees, you’ll need a 20-inch or larger blade.
Another important consideration is the power of the chainsaw. The most common sizes are 40cc and 50cc, but other sizes are available as well. The size you need will depend on the type of work you’ll be doing with your chainsaw.
If you only need to do light-duty work like trimming branches, a 40cc saw will suffice. For medium-duty tasks like cutting small trees or felling larger branches, a 50cc saw is a better choice.
And if you need to do heavy-duty work like felling large trees, you’ll need a 60cc or larger saw.
In addition to the basics, there are a few other features you may want to look for in a chainsaw. These include
- Automatic chain oiler: This feature lubricates the chain as it’s running, which helps extend the life of the chain and prevents it from overheating.
Chain brake: This safety feature helps stop the chain if it gets jammed or if you lose control of the saw.
- Tool-less chain tensioner: This feature makes it easy to adjust the tension on the chain without using any tools.
- Anti-vibration handle: This feature reduces vibration, making it more comfortable to use the saw for extended periods of time.
These are just a few of the features you may want to look for in a chainsaw. When shopping for a saw, be sure to read the product descriptions carefully to make sure it has the features you need.
Gas or electric?
As we’ve seen, there are a few things to consider when choosing a chainsaw. The most important decision is whether you want a gas or electric model.
Gasoline-powered saws are more powerful and can be used for a variety of tasks, but they’re also more expensive and require more maintenance than electric saws.
Electric saws are less expensive and require less maintenance, but they’re not as powerful as gas saws and may not be suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
If you’re only going to use your chainsaw for light-duty tasks like trimming branches, an electric saw may be the best choice. However, if you need a saw that can handle more heavy-duty tasks like felling trees, a gas-powered saw is a better option.
Safety Precautions while using Chainsaw
Chainsaws are amazing tools that can help you quickly and easily cut through logs or branches. However, they can also be dangerous if used incorrectly.
In order to stay safe while using a chainsaw, it is important to follow the proper safety precautions. Here are a few of the most important ones:
1. Always wear proper safety gear, including a helmet, glasses or goggles, and gloves.
2. Read the instruction manual before using the chainsaw.
3. Inspect the saw before each use to make sure that all parts are in good working order.
4. Be aware of your surroundings and be sure to keep clear of any bystanders while operating the chainsaw.
5. Use the correct type of chain for the material you will be cutting.
6. Make sure that the chain is properly tensioned and oiled before use.
7. Cut at a moderate speed to avoid kickback and binding.
8. Stop the saw if it becomes jammed and turn it off before attempting to clear the obstruction.
9. Never try to force the saw through a tough piece of wood.
10. Keep your hands and other body parts away from the saw chain at all times.
If you follow these safety tips, you will be able to use your chainsaw safely and effectively. Remember, a chainsaw is a powerful tool that should be used with care.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Which is best Husqvarna or Stihl?
Husqvarna 450 is a gas-powered chainsaw with a powerful engine, efficient features, and one-of-a-kind technology. The Stihl MS271 on the other hand is a medium-range affordable chainsaw with good efficiency and helpful features.
Moreover, at the end of the day it all comes down to how do you want to use your chainsaw. If it is for light to medium size tasks go for the Stihl MS 271 chainsaw and the Husqvarna MS 450 is for tough demanding tasks.
Is the 450 Rancher a pro saw?
The Husqvarna 450 chainsaw is a medium ranged lightweight, highly powered pro saw checking almost all boxes you would want a professional saw too.
It is quite fuel-efficient and lightweight too and thus, definitely, a pro saw in my opinion.
Is STIHL 271 a pro saw?
The Stihl MS271 is an affordable medium-range gasoline-powered chainsaw that is one of the best in its budget range. However, due to the absence of certain features, you would want in a pro saw, this is not it. But if you are looking for one, check out the Husqvarna 450 chainsaw.
How big of a bar can I put on a Stihl MS271?
The Stihl MS271 is undoubtedly a heavy-duty chainsaw you can use bars of 16’’ to 20’’ with this one. If you are looking for something more, pro saws would be the one for you.
How much horsepower does a STIHL 271 have?
The Stihl MS 271 has a horsepower of 2.6 kW perfect for light to medium size work. It is one of the best medium-range chainsaws on a budget and you won’t be disappointed with this.
How many cc’s is a Husqvarna 450?
The Husqvarna 450 features a 50 cc engine which comes with X-Torq technology proving the machine useful in the long run and for an investment.
How do you adjust the oil on a Husqvarna 450?
The Husqvarna 450 is quite user-friendly and thus you would not have a hard time adjusting the oil on it. Before you get started with adjusting the oil, turn off the chainsaw and find the oil-adjustment screw. It is located on the underside of the chainsaw.
Turn the screw clockwise to increase the flow and counterclockwise to decrease it. Turn on the chainsaw to check the flow.