So, you are looking for a small wet/dry vacuum that is both lightweight and portable. But confused whether DeWalt DCV517B is a great option or not? It has many great features, but what makes it so good that there are so many great reviews all over the web?
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
It can be used with the Dewalt 20V batteries, it can be used for around 30 minutes on one charge, the filter is quite large and good, and it doesn’t come with a blower. The suction hose can be pulled out of the nozzle so it has a flexible hose for getting in tight places, but the hose is short.
- Tank Size: ½ Gallon
- Hose Diameter: 1-1/4”
- Air Flow (CFM): 0.5
- Hose Length: 2.5 feet
- Weight: 3.8 pounds (bare)
- Filtration: HEPA wet/dry filter traps 99.97% of dust at 0.3 microns
- Battery: DCB204 20V Max Lithium-ion (included)
- Charger: 20V Max DCB115 Charger (included)
- Warranty: 3 years
In this detailed ownership DeWalt DCV517B review, we are going to show you all of the things that make it a great option, and we will also show you what are features that it lacks and for what type of users it is a perfect option.
DeWalt DCV517B Review
The DeWalt 20V ½ Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum (DCV517B) is a cordless vacuum designed for small jobs, quick clean-ups, and big messes.
It’s lightweight and powerful, with enough versatility to be used in your home or on the job site. And it’ll make quick work of virtually any task you throw at it!
I was really impressed with the power and performance of this vacuum. It has plenty of suction to take on even the biggest messes, and it’s very easy to maneuver around tight spaces. The cordless design is also a big plus, making it perfect for quick clean-ups and smaller jobs.
Overall, I think this vacuum is a great option for anyone looking for a powerful and versatile tool that can handle both big and small messes. It’s definitely a tool I’ll be keeping in my arsenal!
If you’re in the market for a new vacuum, I highly recommend giving the DeWalt 20V ½ Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum (DCV517B) a try. You won’t be disappointed!
- Compatible with 20V MAX Dewalt Battery Packs
One of Dewalt’s greatest innovations is the introduction of the 20V MAX battery pack, which allowed for multiple tools to be powered by the same battery.
The Dewalt DCV517B is also compatible with the same range. This makes it a budget-friendly choice, especially for those who own multiple Dewalt tools running on the same battery.
I also had the luxury of choosing different capacities, which helped me manage my charge and run times more effective as a result.
I was also happy with the long run times that I gained, which allowed me to clean more efficiently. This was despite the fact that vacuum cleaners are notorious for draining batteries very quickly.
- HEPA Wet/Dry Filter for Better Cleaning
Having a HEPA filter is absolutely critical in workshops and other professional environments, where the dust can be extremely fine.
The Dewalt DCV517B filters upto 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger in size, absorbing a good amount of fine particles in the process.
This model also has a dual filter, with the first filter acting as a fully functional wet dry filter and the secondary filter ensuring better dust removal. This gives you the convenience of cleaning your surroundings with ease, even if you have to clean liquids.
I was personally impressed by how the filter performed when it came to cleaning. However, the ease with which I could clean my filter itself was remarkable.
All I had to do was tap the filter to remove excess dirt and then rinse it under running water and it was as good as new.
- Portable design
If you are someone who likes to enjoy the convenience of a vacuum cleaner wherever you are, then the Dewalt DCV517B is the perfect machine to have. It is easy to carry around thanks to its portable and lightweight design, making it ideal for transporting.
The lightweight design also allows users to vacuum cars and automobiles with ease. This was of great use to me during long road trips, where I could fire up this vacuum cleaner before traveling.
This can also be a beneficial option for elderly customers looking for a vacuum that is easy to carry. The extendable hose will ensure cleaning at heights is good enough.
PROs & CONs
- Great battery life, longer runtime
- Lightweight design makes it easy to vacuum cars and tight corners
- Great replacement to larger corded models
- Bin is easy to remove and clean
- Good value for money, especially if you own other Dewalt cordless tools
- Circuit board susceptible to fusing regularly
- Rubber hose tends to separate from unit after regular use
- Little Loud
- Hard plastic nozzle can damage polished surfaces
After owning the Dewalt DCV517B for quite some time, I can assure you that it is a quality product that offers great ease of use and value for money.
Its strongest features are its lightweight and compact design as well as its battery, which it makes a great choice looking for a model that is easy to carry and transport.
A high-quality filtering system and bin, both of which are easy to clean, make the user experience all the more enjoyable.
If you are someone looking for a portable vacuum cleaner that offers great cleaning power, then this model is one you must definitely consider. It is also a great product for elderly customers looking for some additional convenience while cleaning their personal spaces.
If you are looking for a vacuum for cleaning your workshop daily, then be prepared to regularly clean the bin regularly. You may also want to look for a more powerful model that will help you cut down the time you spend on cleaning those hard-to-reach spaces.
Vacuum Buying Guide
So it’s time to get rid of the broken vacuum, right? The one that has been giving you nothing but problems for years? Not so fast. There are still a few things you might want to consider before taking out your wallet.
- First off, think about what type of vacuum cleaner you need. For example, if you have mostly carpeting in your house and only occasionally use hardwood or tile floors then an upright model may be best for you because they are great at picking up debris from the carpeting while being lightweight enough to handle stairs and low furniture with ease.
With this type of machine, be sure to look for features like powerful suction and a wide cleaning path in order to maximize efficiency. If on the other hand, you have a very large area of hardwood or tile but still have some carpets as well, then a good canister vacuum would be the best bet.
A canister vac provides better suction and more concentrated cleaning power than an upright because it has a wide base which means that the brushroll is not constantly hitting into walls and door jambs as it goes from room to room.
- Additionally, most come with tools that allow you to clean your furniture without having to move it first. Usually, they also come with wall-mounting capabilities so your home’s décor isn’t compromised by ugly attachments laying around on the floor all the time.
Of course, if you have everything from shag carpeting in your home office to an average everyday low pile in the living room, you may want to consider a versatile model like a backpack vacuum.
This type of vacuum is perfect for people who want the maneuverability of an upright with the power of a canister.
Back to our original topic though- what about that old vacuum cleaner you’re thinking about getting rid of? Before you go ahead and sell it or donate it to charity, take a look at how much it would cost to fix it.
It’s possible that the problem is something simple like a clogged hose or filter and those parts are available cheaply at most hardware stores. If it’s something more serious like an electrical issue, then it might be worth bringing it in for repair.
- Another thing you should consider before parting with your vacuum cleaner is the warranties and guarantees available with different models.
If at all possible, try to get an extended warranty on any vacuum you purchase because this will cover future repairs and parts replacement for a specified period of time.
If you know that you tend to break your vacuums quickly then this may be a good investment for you.
Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers offer lifetime guarantees on their products so if it’s within their stated timeframe then they could always fix or replace your old vacuum even though it has passed the usual warranty terms.
- Last but not least, think about how much space you have in your home. The last thing you want is for something brand new to fit comfortably in place A only to turn out that it doesn’t fit at all in B because of the way your furniture is arranged.
If you’re not sure whether a particular model will fit, take a look at the dimensions listed on the box or on the manufacturer’s website.
Making a decision about what vacuum cleaner to buy can seem like a daunting task but if you go into it with all of this information then it should be a little less stressful.
So before you do anything else, consider these factors and then decide which machine is best for you and your home.
Maintenance tips for a Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner
A wet/dry vacuum is an important tool to have in your arsenal for cleaning up messes. It’s easy to clean and maintain, but there are a few things you should do on a regular basis to keep it running like new.
- One common issue people have with vacuum cleaners is that the suction power diminishes over time. This is often due to a build-up of dirt and dust in the machine.
To combat this, you should check and clean the filters before each use. You may also need to replace them every few months, especially if you’re using your vacuum cleaner frequently.
If it’s dirty, remove it and dump out all the dirt that has been collected. You should also check the hose seal to make sure it is still tight and clear of any leaks.
- Another important thing to check is the power cord. Make sure it is free of kinks and knots, and that the plug is in good condition. If the plug is loose or the cord is damaged, it could cause a fire hazard.
- Another important part of taking care of your vacuum cleaner is making sure there are no blockages in the hose or pipe. To do this you can use a broom handle or a stick to check for blockages.
If you find one, you may need to take the hose or pipe off and remove the obstruction with tweezers or by blowing through it.
- Finally, if your vacuum cleaner is losing suction power, then it might be time for a new belt. This can usually be purchased at hardware stores near where you live.
- The last thing you should do is empty the tank. It’s easy to clean a vacuum by simply removing the filter and dumping out all the dirt that has collected in there for months.
When cleaning up messes, check your equipment before getting started. If it’s dirty or damaged, replace or repair it before using it again.
Doing so will prevent incidents from occurring and increase the life expectancy of your vacuum. That way you can save time and money!
By taking care of your vacuum cleaner with these simple tips, your appliances will last longer and continue to work at their best!
Also, remember that most manufacturers have warranties on their vacuums so make sure you do not damage yours past this warranty period as this could void it.