Craftsman has been in the business of making tools and equipment for generations. They pride themselves on their knowledge and understanding of what people need when they are working with tools, so much so that many people refer to them as “the company who knows me best”.
This is why Craftsman has come up with a line of products designed specifically for tradesmen such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and more.
I decided to purchase the Craftsman 20V 1/2″ Impact Wrench thanks to its impressive features and performance a year ago. Here are some aspects that still impress me to this date.
Craftsman CMCF900M1 features a hog ring anvil for easy socket changes that provide up to 350 ft. lbs. torque and 2,500 IPM. It has a 4.0Ah battery and hangs hook for great portability and convenience to the user. It also comes with a fast charger and a very long battery backup.
|Battery Backup||4-5 hours|
|Impact Frequency||0-2500 BPM|
|Weight||4.66 lbs. (2.2kg)|
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links.
Craftsman 20V 1/2″ Impact Wrench Review
In this article, we will discuss the various features and how they performed over time. The pros and cons list will highlight certain aspects of the product I liked and disliked.
This will help you understand this product better, helping you make your decision regarding the purchase.
It has a 20V MAX 4Ah High Capacity Lithium battery for extreme runtime in heavy-duty applications. The fast charger recharges the high-capacity lithium battery in 60 minutes or less.
This Craftsman impact wrench is also compatible with Versatrack hang hook. This can be used to hang the tool when it’s not being used, giving you more room on your workbench.
If you are someone who spends a lot of time working under car hoods or undercarriage, then this impact wrench will quickly become an essential tool in your arsenal.
The power and speed of this impact wrench allow you to boost your work productivity by at least 30 minutes daily, allowing you to maximize how much you utilize your time.
Another great feature is the construction of the Craftsman 1/2in. Cordless Impact Wrench, which is made from high strength alloy steel which resists stripping even in extreme applications.
It also features a forged housing with anti-slip elastomer grip for comfort and control as well as a stubborn fastener lock-off switch for safety every step of the way.
To make things even better Craftsman included a hog ring anvil for easy socket change along with a maximum torque of 350 ft. lbs. torque and 2,500 ipms running at full speed.
It also has a variable speed trigger that allows you to operate it between 0 and 1,700 RPM for heavy-duty applications, allowing you to dial in the precise settings
All these features as well as the power it provides is why we consider this impact wrench to be among the best out there on the market.
With great features like these, it’s no wonder why this product is considered one of the best on the market by many customers who have tried it out for themselves.
During our testing, we have found that it is a little big in size compared to the other impact wrenches, but it is not heavy. You can easily use it, and the battery also lasts very long, but if you are one who uses impact wrenches all day long then you need one extra battery to perform your work.
And it comes with fast charging, which means you can easily charge your battery in under one hour, which can be very handy for extensive users.
The other best thing about it, this comes with 3 years of warranty, there are very few companies who provide such kind of warranty period with their products.
You can buy this wrench with and without a battery, if you have one already, this can save some money. One more thing to keep in mind, you cannot use batteries of other companies with this wrench, you have to use their own battery.
The size and dimensions of this are a little big compared to other impact wrenches, if you are one who needs to work in tight spaces then this impact wrench is not for you, it is big to fit in tight spaces such as suspension changes and working inside the engine bay.
Pros and Cons
- Sturdy construction ensures rugged usage
- LED lighting for improved visibility
- Easy forward/reverse direction change
- 3-year warranty
- Excellent Battery Life
- Bulky construction affects portability
- Does not have a case/bag for carrying
If you’re looking for a new impact wrench I would definitely recommend the Craftsman 20V ½” Impact Wrench.
With a plethora of great features and dependable performance, it serves as a great purchase for users looking to invest in a quality product for the long term.
It is great that Craftsman has provided us with this tool which allows us to do our jobs more efficiently and quickly.
This way we will have more time to spend on other things in our lives! So what are you waiting for? It’s time to get your own tool today so you can start working more efficiently too.
Impact Wrench Buying Guide
If you don’t like this impact wrench then you can buy another, you can use our detailed buying guide to pick a good impact wrench. There are many things you should consider before buying an impact wrench such as:
1) What will I be using this Impact Wrench For?
– Different tasks require different features. A heavy-duty impact wrench with variable speeds, adjustable power regulator, and extra air volume flow capacity might be needed if you want to use them on car tire replacement or wheel lugs removal.
If you need to use it for light works around the home and garage, it can suffice with fewer features and lower price about $100 range. The best choice here would be an electric one because of its portability advantage.
2) How often do I want/need to use it?
– If you will not be using the impact wrench a lot, then maybe a cheap one that requires little maintenance will work. However, if you want to use it often or for professional projects, it is recommended to select a higher-end model because they are more powerful and durable.
They should last longer with lower service costs. Furthermore, buying cheap products may hurt your wallet in the long run. For instance, repairing a low-quality product might cost as much as purchasing a new impact wrench so it’s better to buy quality from the beginning.
3) How high is my budget?
– There is plenty of good impact wrenches available under the $100 price range but there are also many models that can go up to $1500, a price range too high for the average person.
If you can afford it then it’s fine to purchase one from that higher price range because it’s no secret that the more expensive something usually means that it is of better quality.
In other words, you get what you pay for. However, if your budget is relatively low and cannot afford an expensive model, don’t worry there are many good impact wrenches under $100 available in the market today.
4) What type do I want?
– There are two types of impact wrenches: pneumatic and electric. Pneumatic ones require a hose connection to a compressor while electric ones operate on battery power or direct current from a wall socket.
Electric impact wrenches are more common because they are usually less noisy, lighter, and more compact. They are also easier to handle for someone without much experience using an impact wrench.
5) What features should I look for?
– The most important feature that you must find is the maximum torque output of the product. This value can be found in pounds per square inch or foot-pound force.
You need to ensure that it’s capable of dismantling anything you throw at it because the last thing you want is something wimpy under your hood! Other desired features include an adjustable power regulator, air volume flow capacity, easy servicing, ergonomic design, etc…
6) Where do I get one? And remember to read our tips here!
– There are many places around where you can potentially purchase an impact wrench. Many local hardware stores carry them, they are also available online on various sites and there are even some specialized businesses that sell them.
The best place to buy one is from the place where you will be using it most of the time or find a reliable dealer that is easy for you to deal with.
7) Finally, what are my tips here?
– If you have never used an impact wrench before then it’s better to start with something cheap ($80 range), just try out how it works without investing too much money into it.
Once you get used to working with this product, then maybe consider buying a more expensive high-quality model such as Ingersoll-RandC Super Duty Air Impact Wrench.
– Always remember to wear eye protection when using an impact wrench because it creates fast-spinning, powerful rotating action which can lead to debris flying out at high velocity and this might cause serious injury if your eyes are not protected.
If you feel like taking a break after long hours or overnight use, it’s recommended that you unplug the tool to avoid an accidental start-up that might cause damage to internal components.
– Read our rating guide here regarding the best value-for-money product in the market! Also, don’t forget to check out our power tools section here.
Our rating guide can help you find what is the best model for yourself or your loved one! We carefully test various products and list their benefits and drawbacks so you can make an informed decision.
Remember that we update our website regularly and add new products to the list!
We also try to answer at least a few messages each day and this is where you can get in touch with us – make sure you do before closing the browser window!
Before purchasing an impact wrench it is important for you or your loved one to read some of our tips here!
We test various models every month and publish their results on this website. This way, we hope to help you choose what’s best for yourself or someone close to your heart.
We use various criteria when testing products such as power, comfort, usability, durability, and price ratio.