Cleaning the gutters is tough work to do, and there are so many tools that are needed for cleaning the gutters, and the ladder is one of the most important things that are a must-have, and today we are making a list of some of the best ladders that you can use for cleaning gutters, these are the products that we have tested ourselves.
Before we go into the details, we must first answer the basic questions about what a gutter is and why it needs to be cleaned. Imagine water falling off the roof during rains. While one may imagine that a sloping roof is enough to solve this problem, it is not.
The uncontrolled flow of water can cause serious damage to the roof. It can ruin the landscape and siding around your house, and in some cases can cause damage to the foundation of the house due to seepage.
Gutters are amongst the most inconspicuous elements of a house, yet they are crucial to ensure the safety and cleanliness of your compound. Their primary purpose is to ensure that water is removed in a controlled manner from the roof while rerouting the water to fall away from the house.
While gutters seem beneficial, they do have certain drawbacks too. In dry weather, they become the perfect place for dirt and leaves to accumulate. This can result in clogs, which can have an adverse effect on the functionality during the rains.
The accumulation of slush and ice in winter can result in the formation of ice dams. The consequences of both these issues include water seepage under the roof and into the foundation.
Cleaning your gutter is the simplest solution to this problem. However, most gutters are at roof level, which requires you to have a ladder to achieve the required elevation. This is why it is important that you have the best ladder for gutter cleaning.
There are plenty of ladders available in the market nowadays, meant for different purposes. However, not all of them are classified as gutter cleaning ladders. Gutter cleaning ladders need to meet a certain height requirement and weight allowance.
This will not only help you reach the gutter, which is usually at roof height but also allow you to carry tools and equipment that you will require to finish the job. These ladders must also have certain design specifications to ensure great stability and ease of use.
— Also read: 6 Best Air Compressor for Roofing Work
This is crucial to ensure that you can be safe while cleaning. However, if you’re not part of a professional cleaning service, you are not going to know which model is ideal to keep your gutter spick and span. That’s why we’re here to recommend the best gutter cleaning ladders for you.
1. Little Giant Ladders, M22 (15422-001)
First up on our list is the Little Giant Ladders Velocity M22. The ladder is a great multi-purpose ladder that serves well in a number of household purposes. Here are some of the best features that make this product a great choice to consider.
- This multi-purpose ladder is designed to accommodate multiple setups as per your requirement. One can use it in the A-frame configuration to ensure maximum stability, especially on uneven ground.
The staircase configuration helps you access higher jobs while ensuring you get the required stability.
The extension mode helps you utilize the maximum height of this ladder to reach heights above a single story. The ladder can also accommodate trestle and plank configurations to work across a wide horizontal section safely.
- The ladder has rock locks, which help you make the adjustments and extensions required to the ladder without having to worry about your stability. These triple locking hinges ensure that your ladder steps are securely in position.
- The aerospace aluminum construction ensures the weight is minimal for the design. It can accommodate 300 pounds of weight in total and can accommodate two people without any issues.
- The ladder’s palm buttons allow for easy change of configuration as per your requirement. This makes it convenient especially when you have safety gloves, as you do not need to remove them to make adjustments.
- The ladder is provided with tip and glide wheels, which makes it easy to move across flat and leveled surfaces, making it convenient for the user to transport the ladder from one place to another.
- The ladder has accessories that can be purchased to further increase its versatility. Having a work platform can ensure you have a wide enough space to comfortably move around and clean the gutters without having to worry about losing balance.
- Sturdy build quality, made of aerospace-grade aluminum for increased weight tolerance of 300 lbs, two people accommodated at once
- Multiple configurations for different requirements, A-configuration, extension, staircase and trestle and plank setups possible
- Rock locks and triple locking hinges to ensure steps are secure during jobs
- Palm buttons for easy configuration change without removing safety gloves
- Tip and glide wheels for easy movement
- Additional accessories available to increase the versatility of the ladder
- Meets OSHA and ANSI standards
- Weighs 39 pounds, quite heavy for an individual to carry, especially on steps and irregular services
- The model does not extend to 22 feet, reaches a maximum height of 19 feet only
- Weight makes it difficult to change setups
- Rubber grips are not slip-resistant, especially in extension mode
- Requires care while extending, the frame goes into free fall, resulting in serious injury to fingers and feet, clangs loudly at the end
- Narrow step treads make it difficult for users with large feet
2. Little Giant Alta-One Model
Our next choice for the best ladder for cleaning gutters is the Little Giant Alta-One Model 17, another reliable model from Little Giant Ladders. This lightweight ladder is well suited for individuals with regular household maintenance requirements.
We now take a look at the various features of this product, which makes it a highly recommended choice.
- Multiple setups are possible on this ladder, making it a great option to consider for those with a multipurpose requirement.
The A-frame configuration gives you optimum stability, while the staircase allows you to access increased elevations without having to compromise on the stability of the ladder.
It can also be used as a 90° ladder, For users needing to utilize its maximum height, the extension mode helps you reach the heights with no issues. The ladder can also accommodate a trestle and plank configuration thanks to its design.
- It can accommodate 250 pounds with no issues thanks to the aerospace-grade aluminum used in its construction. This also ensures the ladder is free of issues related to rusting.
- It has a triple locking hinge system as well as wide legs to ensure that one has a stable experience, especially at a height.
- This product is covered by a lifetime warranty, making sure you can deal with any issues that may develop at a later point in time.
- Aerospace aluminum construction, sturdy and free of rust
- Versatile ladder with multiple configurations, additional accessories allow upto 24 configurations
- Can be used as A-frame, staircase, extension and trestle and plank ladder
- 250 pounds weight tolerance
- Triple hinge locks for secure operation when loaded
- Wheels provided for easy transportation
- Meets OSHA and ANSI standards
- The model does not extend to 17 feet, reaches a maximum height of 15 feet only
- At 30 pounds, it is a heavy ladder that can make setup change and individual transportation a hassle
- Poor quality of safety locking bolt, made of cheap plastic that fails rather easily
- Lack of clear instructions on how to use the ladder from the manufacturer
- Reports of locking pins becoming loose, which could cause a serious risk of injury
3. Louisville Ladder L-3016
Next up on our list of the best ladder for gutter cleaning is the Louisville Ladder L-3016. A quality product from an established brand, this 16 feet ladder is a great compact ladder for those dealing with storage issues.
Here are a few salient products of this product that make it one you should definitely consider.
- The ladder is made of fiberglass, with a sturdy design ensuring that users can work safely even at heights. This gives the ladder a maximum weight allowance of 300 pounds, making it ideal for heavy-duty applications.
- The heavy-duty gusset bracing at each step ensures that every step is secure to stand and work on. The steps are also provided with a slip freeboot to ensure you have a firm hold on the ladder while working.
- The rubber feet along with the staircase design of the frame allows the grip well on the ground, ensuring that you can comfortably work without having to worry about the ladder slipping and giving way under you.
- The molded top of the ladder is designed to accommodate the tools you need. This will make working at heights on the ladder a much more convenient task, as you will not need to come down from the ladder every time you need to change your tools.
- The addition of pinch-resistant spreaders inside the frame ensures the ladder is protected from damage during transit due to accidental hooking to other surfaces. It also adds stability to the frame.
- Fiberglass construction for sturdy design, weight allowance of upto 300 pounds
- Rubber feet and staircase design for anti-slip usage
- Handyman tool holder at the top for convenience while usage
- Pinch resistant spreaders for protection and added stability
- Meets ANSI and OSHA standards
- Lacks wheels for ease of movement across workspaces
- Weighs 46 pounds, increases the difficulty for individual handling and transportation
- Frame flex due to poor mold quality at the top according to reviews
- Lacks wheels for ease of movement across workspaces
4. Xtend & Climb 785P
Next up on our list is the Xtend & Climb Aluminium Telescoping Ladder. This unique ladder is a great choice for those looking for an easy-to-transport choice that fits well in the small storage spaces.
We shall now discuss some features of this product, helping you understand why it is a good choice.
- This ladder is extremely compact and easy to transport thanks to its telescopic design. The use of aerospace-grade aluminum in the design makes it lightweight.
The exterior is also anodized to improve its aesthetic, while also making it easy to clean after use. The design also includes an integrated carrying handle, making transporting it hassle-free.
- The ladder has a locking and extension by foot mechanism for an easy change in the ladder height according to your requirements.
The locking mechanism has a green/red locking tab which clearly indicates when the ladder is safely locked, which helps avoid any mishaps while using the ladder. As a result, the weight allowance of this ladder is 225 pounds.
- Angled thumb releases ensure that your hand is in the right position when you are adjusting the ladder height, to ensure that you do not injure yourself in the process due to the frame collapsing on you.
- A six-month warranty is provided for manufacturer defects and repairs on your product.
- Compact and lightweight design includes a carrying handle for ease of shifting around
- Aerospace aluminum construction with the anodized exterior, stable and easy to clean
- Locking and extension by foot mechanism for easy height change
- Green/red locking tab to ensure the user is aware of the securely locked step
- Angled thumb release to prevent hand injury while extending or retracting
- Six-month manufacturer warranty
- Meets ANSI and OSHA standards
- Extremely unstable at increased heights, with reports of the ladder giving way
- Poorly designed plastic locking tab mechanism, upper steps are not easily retractable and increase risk of injury
- Lack of wider base design makes it susceptible to slipping
- Design is not versatile enough for multi-purpose heavy-duty jobs
5. Louisville Ladder FE3216
Our next choice in this list is the Louisville Ladder FE3216. This fiberglass extension ladder is a reliable extendable ladder that is great for usage, especially at increased heights that require a sturdy base.
We now discuss some of its main features, which is why it features in our list of best gutter cleaning ladders.
- The ladder has a sturdy construction, thanks to its fiberglass construction. It is lightweight and easy to transport.
This makes it a great choice for those looking for a great extension ladder that will help them complete jobs at increased heights, such as cleaning gutters. Fiberglass is an insulator, which can prevent accidental shock while working on electrical systems.
- The safety shoes at the bottom of the ladder have the ability to swivel. This allows it to adapt to even the most irregular surfaces while ensuring the stability of the user is not compromised. The metal shield design also ensures that the ladder does not get damaged due to unexpected movement.
- The MaxLock rung lock with QuickLatch technology allows for easy but safe expansion and locking of the extension bit of the ladder. This ensures that the ladder is stable even at heights.
- The D-shaped rungs give the user a good grip on each step. This ensures ease of body movement to complete the required work, without having to fear falling off the ladder.
- The Mar-Resistant rail end caps help you prevent damage to the surfaces against which the upper end of the ladder rests, preventing you from causing damage to the exterior surface.
- The frame has durable outside slide guides to ensure that one does not accidentally overextend the ladder, which could cause the ladder to fail and result in a serious injury due to a fall.
- Sturdy fiberglass construction, non-conducting and heavy-duty usable
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Swivel safety shoes for improved stability, metal shield to protect ground and ladder
- MaxLock and QuickLatch technology for quick and easy locking
- D shaped rungs for better grip on steps
- Mar-Resistant rail end caps to protect the exterior surface it is being rested on
- Outside slide guides to prevent overextension
- Meets ANSI and OSHA standards
- Weighs 30 pounds, difficult for single person transporting
- Issues with the quality of fiberglass, numerous reports of cracks in the frame
- No wheels for easy transport
6. LuisLadders Folding Ladder
The Luisladders Folding Ladder is the last ladder in the best ladder for cleaning gutters list. This multi-purpose ladder can be used for various household purposes, thanks to its shape-shifting design.
We now discuss some of its notable features, which will help you understand why this is a quality product to consider.
- The ladder has a multi-purpose function thanks to its folding design. One can use it as an A-frame ladder, leaning ladder, scaffold, or step ladder.
This versatile design allows users to utilize the ladder for various household requirements.
- The ladder is made of aerospace-grade aluminum, with square rungs and supporting tubes ensuring that users have the most stable and comfortable weight, while still being lightweight. As a result, the ladder can accommodate upto 330 pounds of the load while in use.
The six security lock system not only helps you change the various setups of the ladder but also secure the steps to allow for safe operation at heights.
Zig-zag anti-slip rubber foot pads ensure that the ladder is firmly planted into the ground, providing the ladder with a secure base to ensure the safety of the user when loaded.
- Multi-purpose frame design to ensure versatility for household requirements, A-frame, leaning ladder, scaffold, or step ladder setup possible
- Aerospace-grade aluminum construction, lightweight and easy to transport, square rungs and additional tubes for increased stability
- 330-pound weight allowance
- Six security lock system for easy setup change and stability at heights
- Zig-zag anti-slip rubber foot pads for stability at the base
- Meets ANSI and OSHA standards
- Feels too light, fails to instill confidence, especially for heavier persons
- Extension ladder configuration feels very flimsy due to relatively narrow base
Other Tools required for Cleaning Gutters
Now that we have shown you the products that we tried and tested, you may now have another question. What are the other tools needed to clean a gutter properly? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered here too with what we think are the best gutter cleanings:
- The Gutter Tool – Gutter Cleaning Spoon and Scoop
The Gutter Tool is an innovative product that helps you clean your gutter without any hassles. This product attaches to most extension poles, making it convenient for users to clean gunk and dirt that is far to reach.
This product also ensures you do not have to move your ladder too much, allowing you to finish the job much faster and efficiently, thanks to its reach of upto 20 feet with an extension pole.
The design also helps you hang it off your ladder rung when not in use. You can check out more about this product from here.
- Orbit 58543 Telescoping Gutter Cleaning Wand
This telescoping gutter cleaning wand is a great choice for those looking to hose down their gutters with water. Thanks to its 180° zinc nozzle, it allows you to access the nooks and corners of your gutter system, ensuring it is cleaned properly.
The four-position head system, as well as padded grips, add to the convenience of the user, while also being resistant to corrosion.
This product can also be extended from 40 to 70 inches, helping you access an increased area of the gutter from a single position. Read more about the product from here.
- Amerimax Home Products 8300 Getter Gutter Scoop
This gutter scoop is a simple yet effective tool to clean your gutters. The scoop has a high handle to ensure your hand is protected while scooping out gutter waste. The frame is also flexible to ensure it fits your gutter exactly while being made of durable plastic materials.
The extended tongue helps you get under all that tough gunk, while the narrow heel ensures you have no difficulty in scooping and getting rid of that gutter trash.
- AR North America Telescoping Lance 6′ – 18’
This telescoping lance is an effective tool to get rid of gutter waste by spraying them out. The lance shoots water through its nozzle at a maximum of 4000 psi, helping you get rid of that hard-to-remove gunk with relative ease.
It also has a belt option, which must be purchased separately. Doing so will help you use it safely while on a ladder. It can be extended upto 18 inches, making it ideal to clean large portions of your gutter from a single position on your ladder.
Best way to Clean Gutters With and Without a Ladder
- If you have a ladder, you will be able to spot the exact areas of the gutter that need to be cleaned. You will also be able to spot certain areas where gunk and tough to remove dirt has accumulated.
A simple scoop will help you effectively remove all of the gunk. Using a power spray will ensure you can access a wider area from a single spot.
However, if buying a ladder is not a feasible choice for you at the moment, there’s nothing to worry about. Using basic household appliances with some modifications will help you get the job done. Here are a few tips on how to clean gutters without a ladder.
- Using a power sprayer with an extendable handle will allow you to access the nook and corner of your gutter system without having to climb up. Nozzles with adjustable pressure and flexible heads help ease the process of getting gunk out of the gutter.
These sprayers are also provided with extendable handles and interior mirrors which allow you to view the area to be cleaned from the ground level.
- Vacuum cleaners are an effective tool to clean the gutters when they are covered with light dirt, leaves, and other such trash.
This will not only help you get rid of the dirt quickly, but it will also ensure that your trash has been collected in the dirtbag of the vacuum cleaner, making it easier to dispose of.
- Using a leaf blower is an easy option to get rid of leaves from the gutter. This will help you maintain your gutter on a regular basis, making sure it functions properly when the need arises.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where should the ladder be placed while cleaning gutters?
The ladder must be placed on a firm and flat ground. Keep it at a comfortable distance away from the surface where it is to be rested.
While doing this, ensure that the angle of the ladder is not too shallow, as this may overload the ladder. Also ensure that the other end of the ladder is properly resting against the surface, especially if your ladder is a single-pole type.
How tall should a ladder be to clean gutters?
The ladder must be at least a 10-12 tread step ladder for a single-story building. The ideal ladder for a single story ladder would be approximately 11 feet. However, a ladder loses height when leaned onto the structure. So a ladder of 15 to 17 feet will be ideal.
If your complex has two stories, the gutter will be at an approximate height of 15 feet. However, you will not find ladders tall enough, unless they have an extension. So look for ladders that have a total height of around 20 to 22 feet, measuring the extension as well.
Is it okay to lean the ladder on the gutter?
Yes, it is okay to lean the ladder on the gutter. If your ladder is a single pole ladder, you will have no other choice but to rest it against a structure.
However, these ladders are designed to bear those loads at an angle, so it will not be an issue. However, be careful not to keep the ladder too flat and exceed the maximum weight allowance to safely use it.
How do you clean the gutter without a ladder?
If light dirt, leaves and twigs have accumulated in the gutter, then one can use a vacuum cleaner, with the hose extending over the gutter to clean it.
Another way to effectively clean the gutter is using a power sprayer. The sprayer has an extendable metal pole as well as a mirror to view the insides of the gutter.
In the search for the best ladder for gutter cleaning, we took a detailed look at each of the products, discussing their various features, pros, and cons at length. After this comprehensive search, we give the title of best gutter cleaning ladder to Little Giant Ladders, Velocity with Wheels, M22 (15422-001).
Despite being on the heavier side, having narrow treads, and the occasional hazard while retracting, the pros of owning this ladder clearly outweigh the cons. For your convenience, we give you a short summary of why this ladder emerged as the winner.
- Sturdy aerospace-grade aluminum build
- Weight allowance – 300 pounds
- Multiple configuration options
- Secure locking mechanism
- Easy switching mechanism
- Wheels for easy transport
- Additional ladder accessories
- Meets OSHA and ANSI standards
With this, we come to the end of this article about the best ladder for cleaning gutters. We hope you now have all the information to make the ladder choice that suits your requirements and helps you keep your gutters spick and span.