Planning for a DIY roof renovation in this New Year? That’s a cool roof renovation idea until your roof nailing gun compressors are a reliable one.
Frankly, the entire renovation idea may go off if the compressor attached with your nail gun turns out to be a snitch.
Buyers often become easy prey to tricky salesmen when they go for buying an air compressor and end up choosing the wrong ones. You realize your mistake when the nail shooting gun does not get adequate air pressure for shooting the roofing nails.
Here is the list of best air compressor for roofing (TOP 6):
- Heavy Duty D55146 Air Compressor
- Makita MAC2400 Big Bore compressor
- DC 080500 Quiet air compressor
- JC 10 Oil-Less Compressor
- Twin Stack P1IU- A9 air compressor
- C2002 Porter-Cable Oil Free Compressor
Time to sneak into the best product list that our expert editors have got for you,
By choosing the best air compressor for roofing you can keep such work hazards at bay, as one such compressor comes with the following advantages increasing the air pressure strength to push nails/paints at a required force.
Adjustable CFM regulator to regulate the air pressure level in the cylinder. Perfectly hits the target while shooting the nails on the right point piercing the wood or logs used for re-roofing purposes.
Now there are plenty of air compressor models available on the market. But often buyers think about where to go and which one to pick?
Relax! We have made your job easy by spending hours and months researching the best air compressing tools. We even took the reviews from popular review sites like Reddit, Quora, and Amazon in our research work.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links.
1. DEWALT D55146 Air Compressor
Dewalt is a household name for every handyman, roofer, and construction worker nowadays. Amongst their 180+ diverse construction tools like a paint gun, nailing guns, drillers, and air compressors have also found their place suitably.
That’s because, unlike other compressors, the ones from Dewalt come with 225 PSI tank storage. It’s quite larger than the other storage facility available in the compressor models belonging to other brands.
An ordinary compressor might help you to operate one or two nailing guns at a time. But the ones from Dewalt can run multiple nailing guns at a time. It’s effective to complete complex roofing work within less time.
To run the compressor models from the Dewalt series you just need a 300 PSI hose pipe and that’s enough to run this compressor model.
Your search for the air compressor for roofing work must have Dewalt because, unlike other compressors, this 33.5 inches device lets the 5.0 scfm (Standard cubic feet per minute) allows the air storage tank to charge up quickly once the air is exhausted. Other models may not offer one such feature in their product series.
- Stores 4.5 gallon of compressed air-gas with 225 PSI
- Energizes multiple nailing guns at a time
- Vertical stand feature and collapsible handle makes it easier to carry after storing air in the storage tank low noise level – 78 dba only
- Low maintenance cost
- Price range is fairly high than the other compressor series
“Hard to carry one such heavy compressor? The additional stand comes with additional wheelbase for moving it from one place to another”
2. Makita MAC2400 Big Bore Compressor
Just as the firing capacity of a self-loading automatic M16 rifle depends upon its barrel and firing nozzle accuracy, a nailing gun’s firing range depends upon the compressor quality.
Well, MAKITA big-bore compressors are meant for firing such big guns. It’s like the firing bore of the big toys for big marine boys! Starting from house cleaning to lawnmowers, benchtop woodwork to dust management, commercial power tools to drilling, painting, and even roofing power tools, MAKITA is one of the most reliable minions of roofers.
Maximum roofer companies rely on them because of the added value a customer gets after buying their product.
Buyers prefer choosing it in the category of the best air compressor due to its 4.2-gallon air storage capacity and it’s completely maintenance-free. The corded electric product requires 120 volts only.
However, on comparing it with the Dewalt model you might see that the PSI tank capacity of the MAKITA model might be less than that of the Dewalt one, but it has anti-temperature and vibration control features that you may not find in Dewalt models.
The benefit of this one is, the product comes with oil drain and oil sight gas. However, that needs to be changed from time to time.
- 4.2 compressor gallon capacity with 130 PSI air pressure only
- The oil-lubricated feature is suitable for vibration and air temperature control
- The compressor can run two different nailing guns at a time
- Comes with big bore cylinder with 1.6 HorsePower
- Roll cage constructional design is perfect for carrying it in different constructional sites
- Oils might have to be replaced during the winter season
3. DC 080500 Quiet Air Compressor
The name of Campbell Hausfeld is a perfect addition to your list of the best roofing compressor because, unlike MAKITA models, it’s a complete no-oil compressor.
If you’re looking for a low noise making compressor, that connects not only a roofing nailer gun but also a stapling gun, then this one must be your primary choice.
It’s quiet and noiseless operation and both male and female coupling plugs help a user to avail the benefit of using the whole compressor kit without much difficulty.
The 68 dba of the compressor is suitable both for indoor as well as outdoor use. The 8 gallon capacity of the device is a far better choice for those who’re looking for an oil-free compressor for running 18 gauge brad nailing guns as well as crown staple shooters. Its 300 PSI is sufficient to pass maximum air through its safe tapered 2 nozzle pieces.
Since, you’re searching for the air compressor for roofing this one is a smart fit. This entire single compressor kit is available at an affordable price range.
Finding one such product might not be easy for a buyer at all. That’s why it’s a smart pick for those who’re looking for a whole compressor kit for operating roofing nailers, crown stapler gun, etc.
- Tailored usage – hobby painting, stapling, fastening, nailing, inflation, and other bolting projects. It’s a reliable mate for every odd handyman’s job
- Comes with an additional wheel, as a result, it’s easily portable
- Rubber grip steel handle to shift it from one place to another
- Comes with a chuck, 4 pieces of NPT coupler both male and female plus all weighing 1.4 inches
- Versatile for buyers looking for complete compressor kit available at a low budget
- Might not suit with every type of roofing tool manufacturing brands
4. JC 10 Oil Less Compressor from RolAir
JC 10 oil-less compressor must be on your buying list of the best air compressor if you’re looking for one such compressor for home purposes.
This is specially customized for DIY roofing purposes. Though part-time repairmen and paint renovation workers rely on it while working on small-scale projects.
The 2.5 gallon capacity of its tank assures 2.35 CFM at 90 PSI. That’s an added factor for which you need to keep this one on your buying preference list.
It’s 1725 motor is sufficient for meeting your DIY roofing tools. Its simple operation is an added benefit for non-professionals to access the compressor without much difficulty.
Its cast aluminum cylinder, knobs, and gauges are manufactured carefully so that it can win over wear and tear even after using it for a long time. That’s another purpose for which you must have the name of this particular model on the top of your buying list.
With this model added to your best roofing compressor list, you can easily keep occupational hazards like product damage at bay. The durable roll cage design enhances safety while you’re using it on your job site.
- Low capacity compressor perfect for DIY roofing purpose
- Easy to portable from one place to another
- Simple operations
- Suitable for occasional purposes in your household
- Prompt customer service on lodging complaints
- The PSI capacity of the storage tank is limited in comparison to the storage capacity of other compressors available for sale.
Planning to renovate your house this winter? This compressor must be on the top of your buying preference list then.
5. Ingersoll-Rand Twin Stack P1IU-A9 Air Compressor
The P1IUA9 air compressor must be on the top of your buying list if you’re looking for a durable compressor for operating the roofing nails. Unlike other air compressors, Ingersoll-Rand’s name must be within the buying list because it’s a durable one.
The cast-iron knobs, tanks gauges, and couplers used in it turned out quite more effective than the other compressors.
There’s a misconception among the buyers that probably lightweight compressors might be better as they weigh less and it’s easily portable.
Frankly, it’s just a myth. That’s because it’s not possible for a compressor to be lightweight, as it is attached to an air-gas cylinder with different couple plugs (M&F) to connect the nailing gun, stapler crown, paint guns, etc.
However, like the other models, this one may not be able to support more than one nail gun. That’s because its capacity is not more than 135 PSI. However, it’s a smart option for using a nail gun in roofing, framing, trimming etc.
The compressor requires synthetic oil to run the oil-based machine. It’s a smart option to run the machine when it gets frozen up, as it’s a smart replacement for lubricant oil. That’s another reason for which it’s tagged as the best air compressor list.
- Ergonomic design
- Can be considered lightweight in comparison to the other compressors, as it weighs not more than 80 kgs
- Maintains 79dba noise level
- It’s synthetic lubricant is suitable to raise its efficiency
- Durable iron cast cylinder, protective black shroud and extended pump life enhances longevity
- May not suit on connecting work lights and nailing guns all at a time
6. C2002 Porter-Cable Oil Free Compressor
Need an oil-free compressor with an aesthetic look? Then C2002 Porter Cable air compressor must be on top of your buying list. As a buyer, if you’re looking for a compressor with a stashed budget, this model must be your primary choice.
The pancake-style compressor can be tagged as the best air compressor for diverse roofing purposes because of its loudness and vibration.
If you’re thinking will it be a smart buy in my limited budget? – Oh yes. It’s actually meant for those who’re using compressors for DIY roofing, painting, and running the stapler crown for solely home purposes.
Now, if you are running a parallel comparison between Makata, Dewalt, or JC 10, its technical features and advantages won’t pass, but if your priority is about finding a low-weighted compressor this one is an ideal fit.
Its quick compressor recovery is another advantage that buyers are attracted to. Say for e.g. if you’re using a commercial bench repairing tool or engrossed in a painting job, it isn’t possible for you every time to check the PSI capacity and the air pressure level.
You’ll be alerted only when you see that the force has reduced. To avoid that this compressor has a quick recovery feature to assure 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI.
- 150 PSI maximum tank pressure
- Comes with 6-gallon pancake-style tank
- It’s stable and comes with a water drain valve and rubber feet
- It’s 120-volt motor runs without any technical fault in cold weather with an extension cord even
- Long-life durable no-maintenance air-free tank
- The noise factor might be a reason for irritation for certain users
If your budget is limited and you need an air compressor for DIY roofing, then the Pancake air compressor is the one you need for your home.
Things to Consider to Choose the Best Air Compressor
By now, you have got a fair idea of various air compressors available for sale. However, we’re running a quick review on the products we’ve chosen the compressor for roofing requirements. They’re:
If multitasking is your need Dewalt is your option: (An time’s Best Pick)
Dewalt must be the buyer’s choice when you’re looking for multiple commercial drilling tools, paint guns, nail guns, hand tools, etc. at a time if the price doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg.
If the quantity is your choice then Campbell Hausfeld must be your choice then (Value Added Pick)
Tagging Campbell Hausfeld compressor as the best air compressor must be your choice if you’re looking for a value-added pick. Though it’s an oil-run compressor, however, its capacity is sufficient for powering your hand tools, drilling tools, etc. for DIY roofing purposes always.
Porter-Cable is your budgetary pick
If budget is your concern then choose Porter Cable, as its limited PSI capacity is perfect for powering nail guns, staple crowns, etc. Low budget is another factor in choosing one such compressor for house roofing purposes.
After scanning till now, you must have realized the differences between the air compressors available in the market for sale.
But you’re still in the dark if you have to prepare a buying list on the best air compressors for roofing your house. They’re:
What’s an air compressor? An air compressor is a device that helps you to convert power into pressurized energy. The energy can be used for running roofing nail guns, paint guns, drilling tools, etc.
What’s the use of an air compressor? An Air compressor can be useful for a handyman to fix faulty roofs, nailing the joints of a broken roof, repair any portion of a wooden bench, commercial carpentry, and painting as well as in structural projects.
In fact, it’s a reliable mate of the builders who’re into construction jobs. The main purpose of the compressor is to produce a high-speed jet for operating multiple electric tools where maximum SCFM is needed.
Classification of Air compressor: Air compressors are of two different types, and they’re based on:
- Positive displacement
- Dynamic positive displacement
Before buying a compressor, always know its uses of it. The positive displacement ones are found commonly in small and medium-sized industries whereas the dynamic ones are generally used in large manufacturing plants.
- How to choose the right air compressor for yourself?
Since you’re looking for the right air compressor, these are a few things that you must not overlook in your count,
- Identifying the requirements of an air tool- It’s important for you to check the air pressure and the PSI capacity of the compressor and compare it with the tools you’re going to use.
Find some time to analyze whether the tool is capable of meeting your painting, drilling, nailing, and stapling requirements or not. If it meets, then put it on the top of your buying preferences for the best air compressor for roofing purposes.
- Choosing the compressor as per the weight – The weight of the compressors varies from one another. Usually, it depends upon the per unit gallon capacity of the compressors. If the compressor is portable it’s easy to carry even if it’s heavy.
Whereas, buying a compressor that’s difficult to carry and equally heavy is not a smart buying option. If you’re looking for a compressor that’s easy to carry and comes with additional wheels then this one must be your first choice.
- Take the horsepower in the count- A good compressor must have a horsepower of about at least 1.5-6.5 HP. Choosing a compressor with an HP that’s less than this particular horsepower won’t be a good option as it might reduce the jet speed of the tool while a painting, nailing, or drilling job is in progress.
- Know the CUBIC Feet per minute – Never choose a compressor that has a cubic foot that’s measured as 14.5 PSIA. At the same time, it’s quite important for you to find a better option in the long run. 14.5 PSIA is the Standard Cubic Feet that are needed for running or operating a tool at 68 degrees F under 0% humidity. Always choose a compressor that assures high jet-speed while using any of those drilling tools.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions):
Does the roofing nail gun support air compressors? What’s the size of the compressors you should select?
It’s always wise to choose a roofing compressor for your home that comes with a size of 70-110 PSI capacity.
Which one is the best pick if you look for the best air compressor for roofing in your home?
If the budget is not a big deal, always go for selecting a model from the Dewalt series. Those compressors can run multiple drilling, painting, beechwood repairing tools, etc. at a time with high jet speed.
What minimum PSI do you need for a nail gun?
It’s sufficient to use 70-90 PSI for running a nail gun. If you’re planning to operate one such nail gun always look for a compressor that handles 90 PSI easily. Before choosing a compressor, spend some time scanning the available models of compressor in the market for sale. Choose the one that meets your buying requirements suitably.
Should you select an air compressor?
It’s always wise to choose a compressor with higher CFM. Then only you might be able to select the right air compressor for roofing purposes.
The compressors supporting the higher CFM are specially built for powering heavier applications like nail guns, spray painting, etc.
With the market full of air compressors available for sale, it’s quite difficult for a buyer to select the right compressor for himself/herself.
However, if you are looking for genuine information for selecting the best air compressor to make your final buying decision then the product list shared above might be useful.
That way, you can always make your own buying decision without getting inspired by any third-party product website.